Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom defended the organization Thursday, saying that he doesn’t “have any reason to think that anything untoward went on” in regard to Boston using electronics to illegally steal signs in 2018.
“I don’t have any reason to think anything went on,” Bloom said on WEEI’s The Greg Hill Show. “I’m careful what I say because I do want to respect the investigation. I think we have to respect it.”
The Houston Astro's surely hope that MLB's investigation into the 2018 World Series Champs will throw a few buckets of water on the flames of their scandal. The one person who is responsible for both of these investigations is Alex Cora and that's a big enough deal to most likely keep him away from the game forever - at least the MLB.
Major League Baseball is currently investigating the Red Sox after The Athletic alleged Boston improperly used a video replay room to decode opponents’ signals throughout their championship season in 2018. Owners John Henry and Tom Werner both insinuated the Sox would be found innocent at a press conference last month and some of the team’s players (like Andrew Benintendi, Rafael Devers and J.D. Martinez) have directly claimed the league will not be able to find any wrongdoing.
Bloom has been mum on the topic to this point, repeatedly declining comment on anything related to the investigation. His comments Thursday suggest the Red Sox are anticipating the league’s report on the matter with a significant deal of confidence.
“As far as the investigation, I think Major League Baseball has the ability to do that on a much larger scale than we do,” Bloom said. “That’s exactly what they’re doing. Our job is really just to fully cooperate with what they’re doing. We’ve been doing that. It obviously is there and is kind of looming over the organization in a sense. On a day-to-day level, I don’t think it’s interfered that much with a lot of the things we’re trying to do.”